summer flowers

summer flowers

Monday, December 7, 2015

Third Warp on with some Drama

I had a couple of things not work out as planned with the third warp.  

I started winding for 2 more scarves and about half way through winding, I realized that I was running out of yarn.  I had enough yarn for just the warp on two scarves, or warp and weft for one scarf.  I unwound the warp into a ball and started again with a shorter warp for just one more scarf.  This time it worked.

I cut the two finished scarves off the loom, leaving the yarn threaded through the heddles and reed,  and I started tying the new warp to the old ends.  I am worried about the knots holding on this slippery alpaca yarn, so I tied them tight.  The warp wound on easily and I wove about an inch.  That is when I noticed that the pattern did not match up with the warp stripes.  It is one thread off!
Sixth Scarf in a point twill.
Because these scarves have a due date hanging like the sword of Damocles, I did not undo anything.  I adjusted the treadling slightly to make a fancier twill and continued weaving scarf number 6.  The pattern will still make a beautiful scarf, it is just disappointing that my plan did not work.  

As I have been weaving I have been thinking about where I went wrong in my planning.  I drew out the threading, with a full draft, and colored the stripes where I needed them.  I wound the warp following that plan.  But I realized when I started tying on, I started at the wrong end.  My threading is not balanced, I am on a straight draw (shafts 1 through 8) so my threading starts on a 1 and ends on an 8.  Usually when I thread for a point twill I thread, 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 so that it ends on the one, also since this is on 8 shafts, the twill would be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2...a repeat over the eight shafts.  

So when I started tying on the new warp, I started tying the left side of the new warp on the right side of the  old warp.  I was tying thread one to thread eight and thread two to thread seven, and so on.  

None of this really matters in the short run, I will have a beautiful scarf, but if I want to repeat this method of weaving scarves (tying on the warp instead of re-threading everything) I need to remember that there is a up and a down side on that new warp.  I have to start working with the correct side up!

No comments:

Post a Comment