summer flowers

summer flowers

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May is Over Already

Last year during May, we were in Aix-en-Provence, and I have spent the past month reliving that vacation.  We had such a wonderful time and enjoyed the DS and DD coming over for a couple of weeks with us.
The family in Arles


Morning at the market
I found the calendar page that had all the events that we were doing while we were there and DH said to be sure to keep track of it so that we can remember the vacation again next year.  I don't know if we will ever get another vacation like that, but I am sure glad that we did it.  Like DH said it cost a lot, but it was worth it.
Looking out the window of our "home" for 30 days
Gardens at the newly finished museum 

It was such a great experience.

I have been doing some weaving this month.  I finally finished the alpaca scarves and I am pleased with them.  The yarn is a ragg yarn so the patterns are very subtle, but they feel fantastic.


In the bobbin lace group I am in, we had one of our members teaching some needle lace techniques and we started a small motif.

Here's my work so far, and a picture of the finished motif in a frame.  It would be fun to find an old looking broach to put my finished lace in!


Small runner from the Bronson lace sample
I managed to weave a small runner on the end of the Bronson lace sample I put on for the Summer & Winter class, if you look close you can see the error in the weaving (a white weft is floating over a red stripe).  Yes, I did repair the float in the finished runner and now you can not see it.
As you can see, I wove right to the very end of the warp!




I got some more yarn to weave some rugs (the large bumps on the floor) and for scarves and shawls (the eight cones on top of the loom).  This probably will keep me busy for the next couple of months.  I don't think I have enough warp yarn for the rug warp, so I will need to order more.  
You can also see the rigid heddle loom with the napkin samples and the spinning wheel ready to start the Greenwood roving (yes, I have not got around to that yet).



I finally got a picture of the socks from the sock kit I got from Mountain Colors.  I do love their color lines.  I have done socks in their yarns several times.  I followed the pattern that they provided in the kit, even though I thought I would like the ribbing on top smaller, and I ran out of the contrast yarn.
One toe has some dark yarn at the end!
It is really not that bad, the toes are usually in shoes anyway.

Next month I go to Chicago for Complex Weavers and I can't wait.  I thought I would have some handwoven clothing to wear this time...It seems that I need to up my game and spend more time finishing my work and less time watching Netflix!







No comments:

Post a Comment