summer flowers

summer flowers

Monday, February 7, 2011

Projects finished and quilt hanging

I have a beautiful piece of art hanging in my living room on loan from the artist. 

Isn't it great.  My sister used to do quilting, she now is into costuming dolls--check her pictures on Flicker.  She is the Dress Maker and her stuff is fantastic.








Here are a couple of detail shots of details from the quilt.  I never had a quilt of her's so I am enjoying the loan.


100 Projects to Finish 

I finished a couple of the projects from my list.  I have started small and finished some recent work.  
The first is the Angel Muse that I started with my sisters last October.  I loved her, but she needed some hair so that she was a little more "frantic".




Her she is at the end of our weekend.  The face could be better, but with the help of my sisters, she looks pretty good.







Here she is with the "upgrade", I think the hair balances the skirt that I put on her.  I hung her on the door to my studio.







So this is the entrance of my studio, my Muse Angel reminding me of the necessity of creation.




The other two projects that I finished were the samples from the Orenburg Workshop that I took in January.
I knitted a small sample of an orenburg shawl.  The construction is very interesting, designed over the ages to give a shawl that can be produced for sale and that has some wonderful lace stitches.  It is knitted in one piece with only the final corner grafted, quite different from all of the other traditional shawl shapes.




 Here it is before blocking, 

 and here it is after blocking.
And per my Finished Project criteria, I have it mounted and in the binder notes from the class.




I also did a sampler of different lace stitches that are used in Orenburg shawls and it is finished and in the binder also.



Here it is unblocked...
And here it is blocked.

I really liked the lily of the valley pattern.  I was finally able to get the honeycomb stitch to work and learned the "stars" pattern.  The Stars gathered in the stitches a lot, I would probably need to add stitches to balance the use of it in a shawl.  
Here it is close up:



I think that it is an interesting lace possibility. 

Anyway, there is the start of my three year journey to finish One Hundred Projects from Storage or 100P's. 
I am looking forward to getting some boxes emptied.  

I have been wondering about adding house projects to the list.  I guess they fit the criteria, they are taking up storage space, I have spent money on them and never finished them.  I am still deciding on them...what do you think?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment