summer flowers

summer flowers

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

More Tartan Weaving

I have gotten a little weaving done on the tartan.  I haven't been working as much as I thought I would, because I have been working on the Evenstar KAL.  It is working beautifully, but I am close to finished and want to see it done.  I have only about 18 points to knit (out of 57).  


Here is a picture of one of the edge points.  I really thing the beads look great, there are over 2,000 beads around the edge.  You can see them pretty good on this picture.

The tartan is also looking good. 


I use a tape measure to get the length right.  For the first scarf, I need to weave 74 inches.  It will also have 2 inches of fringe on each end.  The scarf that my son is using now (a hand spun, hand woven one) is about 65 inches long with the fringe and he said he wants about 6 inches more on each end for a better fit on the coat.

I used to use  fabric tape measure to help me with the length and the pins went through it real well.  The new plastic tape measures are thicker and need a new technique.  I got a small paper punch (thanks scrap bookers) and punched the tape with two holes every three inches.  Now it is very easy to put the pin through the holes.


I use three pins and just rotate them  as I weave.  By that I mean that when there is enough weaving I unpin the first pin and put it in the next space.


When weaving this pattern, the weft order is the same as the warp order, so to keep track of where I am, I move a pin from square to square as I weave.  Last time I did a warp of the tartan, I messed up on one of the scarves, and at 30 ends per inch it is not fun to take apart.  So the pin helps keep me on track and not mess up.


I guess it is time to get back to weaving...or knitting.

2 comments:

  1. You do such beautiful work. I was unaware of the Evenstar KAL. Looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't imagine weaving that many ends per inch. the weft looks solid! and i love your method for keeping track of where you are.

    i'm really sad to be returning the guild's loom! now, to save up to buy my own.

    ReplyDelete