summer flowers

summer flowers

Thursday, January 16, 2014

A New Year and a New Start

I had thought that my first entry of the year would be a great total of last year's weaving and sparkling new work started for this year...

It didn't work out that way.  I have not taken pictures of the looms for the new year (except for the Bergman which you saw decorated for Christmas and not set up for weaving) and I have not even been able to finish the two towel warps for a photo shoot.

I feel like my body has been wanting to hibernate.  I wake up at a good time...6 or 7 in the morning..I might even get up and do something, but I often end up going back to bed and sleeping for a couple more hours.   No...I am getting to bed at a normal time at 10:30 or 11 usually.  I can't believe that some nights I am sleeping around the clock!  Is it the cold and dark weather?  Will it improve if I get in the sun for a few hours?  What do I need to do to get back on track?

Christmas put away.  Lace and flowers are out.
I have been doing some weaving, getting ready for a couple of classes to start.  For my first two classes, I needed to empty two looms and put on a new warp for each of them.  The first one needs a doubleweave sampler,  for the students to see the techniques and the second one needs a rigid heddle project showing the starting header and weaving.  I had to weave off the overshot sampler to get the doubleweave on,  I finally gave up and just cut off the warp.  I wove 3 samplers to add to the overshot class, but I just didn't want to spend the time to weave the whole warp and I have to put the doubleweave sample on today for class tonight.  The rigid heddle loom had a finger manipulated lace warp that had been on for a couple of years.  Now that I am teaching a RH class, I need to do some more work on that loom.  I put on the second pillow from two I started years ago.  Of course I ran out of yarn, it is no longer available, so I had to find a substitute that I could use to finish the piece...so many times I buy yarns for a great idea, then I don't get to it or redesign it later and I am no longer able to get more of the yarn...  

I was late getting things done for this class, because the furnace went out in the studio, due to holidays off there was no one to get a repair man in.  I did spend one day working, but the temperature in the studio was 38 degrees so I was not working very fast.  I put a small space heater by where I was working, but the cold was in the floors and the treadles and it was not fun weaving, and I did not spend the time cleaning up for class that I needed to do.  So I was not ready for the first class, and to top it off the weather was bad and we only held a short class so we could all get home before the roads got icy.  (The furnace was back on before I had students in so at least we were warm in class.)  Now a week later we have had temperatures in the 40's and 50's so the snow is almost gone and the ice problems are also gone for a while.  (Climate change is giving us very weird weather...)

I am excited for the things I have on the looms, I enjoy weaving when I sit down and do it, but I feel lethargic...I know what my son would tell me..."get up and go to the gym, work it out of you" and I do agree with him, but I also look at the bed and it looks like a better idea!!...

The local weaver's guild had a great meeting.  We did a zig-zag braid on a kumi himo plate and the teacher showed several members how to warp their inkle looms.  We ended up with 5 to 7 inkle looms.  I brought mine, but just talked with friends instead of doing anything on it.
I did get a nice braid worked on with the plate, however.
Isn't the braid great?
I put a warp on the next day.

The cotton ribbon that I put on the inkle loom the next day will be the perfect hanging loop for the black and white towels.  I used the same yarn and a similar stripe pattern.  I did the shortest warp I could on my inkle, and I finished it the week after the meeting.  I haven't taken it off, but had fun weaving on that little loom.  Maybe I should do another ribbon out of the linen for the other set of towels!

No comments:

Post a Comment