summer flowers

summer flowers

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

100 UFO's

I had my sick January again this year...what a pain.  This year was infected sinuses brought on by the horrible cold and cough I seem to get each year.  It has been about 4 weeks and I am still coughing a lot.  Probably the bad air and talking on the phone all day (what I do at work) has contributed to the length of the cough.  I will continue to use the inhaler when I need to (I try to limit that to less than once a day), I will run the humidifier (bought a new one that seems to be working well) and I will corner the market on cough drops (I really like the Ricola).  


My Beginning Weaving class started last week and after four hours of talking, I started to cough so bad I lost my voice and had trouble breathing.  That was the end of class!  Hopefully this week's class will be better.
During our threading of the looms, we talk about all sorts of things and one class member mentioned rewarding herself for finishing up 100 hibernating projects.  The more I think about this the more I want to do the same thing.  I can easily come up with the one hundred and in fact have started a book with a project a page.  I have entered 52 so far.  

As usual, I have set some parameters for myself.  I will consider it an unfinished project if I have bought something and have had to store it.  And it is not a finished item until it is ready to use, give away or sell...it cannot go back into storage.  So this will eliminate the handwoven yardage...it needs to be turned into a finished item.  The list does not have to be done in order, and I think that the three years she gave herself is a good amount of time.  Some of the projects can probably be finished in a week, but some (like knitting sweaters) could take much longer.  So I gave given myself three years and I am starting today.  I will darn in the ends and do the wet finishing of the stitch sampler from the Orenburg lace class with Galina.  

The class was wonderful, by the way.  She has insights and information about the craft that is done differently than I usually do with my knitting.  Add to that the lace stitches (I have wondered about the "wheat" or "lily of the valley" patterns, but had not put in the time to figure them out), it was nice to have a class with quick instruction to get it done.

Thanks to the recent little snow storm, the air is clear and the sky is blue.  I am off today and I want to get to the museum to enjoy the Trevor Southey show before it comes down.  His work is wonderful to stand in front of and just enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a good plan for getting your unfinished projects finished. I hope there is something in your parameters to prevent the start of new projects :)
    Wish I could have gotten to the museum with you, sounds like it was a great show.

    ReplyDelete